Monday, March 7, 2016

Week 56 - Fried Chicken and the Remission of Sins

Dear Mom,

Thank you for all the pics!! I love seeing them! :D We actually got the phone number for Sis. Summers that night, and we (all us missionaries in the most recent pics) are going to eat dinner with her this upcoming Sunday, and we're gonna have fried chicken, and fried okra, and mashed potatoes! It's gonna be great!! I think Hermana Young and I are the most excited, since we're both from the south haha

I love the package you sent!! I love March's tie! and all the goodies in it! I'm probably going to get fat haha

Before I forget, Hermana Young and Hermana Parris would like matching Toadsuck shirts, if you could please? they would like a medium, if you could, and not in yellow. Just take the money from my account. Also, have you sent the Toadsuck shirt to Elder Dowda? He says he doesn't have it yet, but maybe it's hung up in the office for some reason.

Elder Wockenfuss, Elder Brown,
and the sister missionaries at the San Diego temple

This week was pretty good! Especially since we got to go to the temple! It's always good to go and leave behind all the worries and troubles of the world and just ponder the revelations that God gives you.

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to confirm an investigator of the sisters as a member of the church and to give the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I was a bit caught off guard when she asked if I could confirm her, I was of course willing to do it, I was just a little surprised. But I was also very honored to do it. Thinking back on it, I had given her and her family the blessings that started them on the journey towards baptism. I had since given her a health blessing as well, during a time when she was sick. So I suppose that I had a bit of a connection with her, which may have been why she picked me to do it. But something I realized yesterday was that sometimes the confirmation is a bit overlooked and people focus more on just the baptism by water. I studied the scriptures and found that receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost brings a REMISSION and purification of sins. I didn't know what Remission meant, so I looked it up in my dictionary. It means to give or receive a relief from pain and sorrow. That really hit me hard! That's one reason why now I hold the Gift of the Holy Ghost so dear, that's why we need this precious part of the ordinance. It brings relief from the pain and sorrow of your past life, and you can truly start anew, leaving it all behind. This gospel is so true, Mom!

The unity in the district is a little better, still needs improving, but it's better than the first week! Thank you for the prayers! :)

On another note, we've been playing soccer every Friday with members and investigators, and at first, Elder Brown and I weren't very good at playing. But just this past Friday, we kicked butt!! That was the most I've exerted myself playing a sport for quite a while! It was so much fun! You should've seen us! :D Maybe once I get back, I'll get a group together to play, and you can see me play!

Please continue to write and email when you can, I love hearing from you!

With much love,

Elder Patrick Wockenfuss

No comments:

Post a Comment