Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 58 - Personal Poetry

Dear Mom,

Thank you so much for your council and wise motherly words! I always need them :) This past week, Elder Brown and I have come to certain realizations and decisions. This week, things are going to change. Elder Brown will be calling President and be getting transferred out tomorrow, so you won't seeing any more pics with him sidling up with that sister. As for me, missionary work is more important. Whatever God wants to happen after the mission will happen AFTER the mission, not DURING. 

Communication is something that I've learned more about on my mission. Especially here in Vista. Our mission president wants companions to over-communicate with each other, so that way there's nothing keeping us from each other. That's something I've obviously struggled with in the past. But with Elder Brown, we've done SOOO much communication with each other! I honestly feel like he's my best friend, because we tell everything to each other. The good things, the bad things, things that are on our minds, things that the other said that maybe hurt our feelings, all that good jazz! We tell each other everything! And I'm learning that that's honestly the way that it needs to be. When I come out and talk to Elder Brown about something, I feel so much lighter! I don't feel like it bothers me anymore, since I'm not keeping it bottled inside, and it's gone in the past and I don't think on it anymore. So thank you so much for helping me realize in greater detail how important communication is. I love you mom :)

This past week, I wrote a poem for the first time in my life! Elder Brown told me that he really liked it! he told me, "come on! You can play guitar AND write like that? It's so not fair!" haha He meant it in good way :)

I was kind of nervous sharing it with him, well, with anyone really, because I'm not confident in my creative writing skills. But you're my family, so I know you will love it either way haha

(I don't have a title for it)
Many years it has been now,
Since my father has laid down
in a grave and can't be seen
under the grass, warm and green
and will be for many more years
so long as the clocks turn their gears.

My thoughts turn to the Savior,
as I ponder His behavior.
If His love is so infinite,
why is this pain so intimate?
Sometimes it's hard to recall,
but He has a plan overall.

He too laid in a grave like this,
and three days hence, broke the abyss.
Of death and pain, we can be free
and with our families, full of glee.

I know what He did for me,
bleeding in Gethsemane.
For me and all, I know He bled,
from every pore, so scripture said.
We can feel relief from sin,
and from all bad things therein.

And now this year, I connect
on how Christ could resurrect;
to my family, what that means
and to all what it can be.

Let me tell you what I see
when Christ's reign comes to be.
I can now picture that day
when I come forth from the grave
and flesh and soul shall reunite
upon the man who taught me right.
In his face, I clearly see
of pain and guilt, he is now freed.
Running with love in his stride,
he comes to my family's side.
We embrace our father tightly,
for now eternal is our family.

I hope you really like it! :) I got your easter package today, and I just LOOOOVEEE the Batman tie!!!!! It totally made my day!! I'm actually eating the candy from a Batman egg as I type haha

I also greatly enjoyed the pics you sent of everyone from church, that also made my day! :D

Please continue to write and email when you can, I love hearing from you!

With much love,

Elder Patrick Wockenfuss


[A portion of e-mail from Mary to Elder WockenfussOne of the scriptures I came across this week was Psalm 119:103-104 - "How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way." There are some days where frustrations, anger, and other negative feelings threaten to overwhelm me and draw tears. During those times, I get a reminder to read my scriptures. As I obey that thought, the Holy Spirit fills my soul with the peace and calm I so desperately need. The problems or situations that brought on those feelings might not be gone, but I'm better able to handle them thanks to that peace. I know that in a world full of contradicting, confusing views that lead mankind every which way, I can find the truth in the Scriptures, and that it can guide me along the path I need to go.]

[his response:]

Reading what you just told me, it makes me think about the hymns of the church as well. There have been days in these past few weeks that I was stressed or upset about something, but then I get the impression to grab the guitar (yes, I'm borrowing one yet again :P) and start plucking out some hymns. Whether it's one of the lovely renditions that I know, or if it's just plucking the notes out of the hymnbook, it always brings me peace, and to Elder Brown as well. It calms the both of us, because they have the spirit of God wrapped up in them, just like the scriptures. So I have a testimony of Godly music! In the front of the hymnbook, it basically says that the hymns are scripture, and that we should use them often and place them among the sacred books of scripture that we hold dear. They bring peace to my heart when I struggle most, and reminds me of what I can do better, and it helps me to think of the savior. That's something that I learned this week. I am so grateful that God blessed me with a gift of music, and I hope and pray that I can use that gift to help others :)

No comments:

Post a Comment