Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 51 - Needing a Little Help from the Lord, and He Sent Batman With a NERF Gun

Dear Mom,

Talking about giving talks at church, that reminds me of all those years ago when we got asked to speak on the Great Apostasy on a Saturday evening, BUT we got all our talks prepared and everyone thought they were awesome! So God sure gives us a helping hand when we give talks! :D

So this past week, our district meeting was awesome! Or so I thought haha It was a lot better than our first district meeting, which still wasn't bad! But this past District Meeting, I felt like Batman was extremely needed. So I wore my Batman Tie, Batman Watch, Batman Cufflinks, and Batman socks. It. was. wonderful! Sorry I forgot to get a pic of it haha Everyone got a kick out of it though! Then after the district meeting, we went to a Panaderia (mexican sweet bread place), (see pic below)



I'm not sure if I've told you (but I'm sure you've guessed), I have become an avid NERF person on the mission! So I figured out a way to integrate NERF into our district meetings! Just to break out of the same ol boring routine haha We have short 2 minute talks that we get assigned to do in each meeting. There's 1 topic for each month, and 1 person gives this STEPP talk in each meeting. Leaders usually just randomly pick someone while they're at the front. But instead of doing that, last week I drew a bulls eye target with everyone's name on it. Then I picked someone, gave them a NERF gun, and shot at the dart board to decide who would give the STEPP talk. It ended up being me. Everyone busted out laughing when it landed on me. I'm so glad everyone enjoyed it! This week, I'm turning it up a notch! I'm going to have someone shoot the dartboard, then the person chosen from the dartboard gets to grab whatever NERF gun I have and shoot down empty water bottles with everyone's names on them until there's one left. I think it's gonna be a BLAST! :D

The other day, Elder Brown and I were getting ready to leave the apartment, and we turn around a see an orange tabby cat just sitting on our porch! 



We picked up a few new investigators and the husband has no religion at this time. He was born in the Catholic church, but he hasn't gone in YEARS! He believes that there is a higher being, but he doesn't know who He is. So he's pretty open to learning more! Even last night, he asked "Who goes to which place?" referring to heaven and hell. I responded that "We have no place to judge who goes where." And that answer just blew him away. He had never heard of anyone saying something like that! He's heard catholic preachers throw down their preach of where certain types of people are going to go, but never anything like what was just said. I feel like that was a culmination of what I learned in my years of Seminary. Every time in Seminary when someone asked where a certain person in the scriptures was going to go after this life, our teacher would simply respond that we don't know, because we have no place to judge. I feel that in a sense, God had been preparing me for that moment to say exactly what that Investigator needed to hear. God is amazing!

We have a ward missionary named Carlos, and he just absolutely the best ward missionary I've ever met in my life! He's just the greatest! If you need him to come to a lesson, he'll be there! If you need him to pick up an investigator for church, he'll do it! And he somehow can connect with everyone, no matter how old they are! Just the other day, after we woke up, we got a text from him saying that he was outside with donuts for us! So you can imagine what we had for breakfast that day :P

We have an investigator name Jorge who's really starting to progress! We left him with the assignment to read the intro to the Book of Mormon, and the testimonies of Joseph Smith and the 3 and 8 witnesses, and he described it all to us quite vividly! He remembered everything! So we're super excited to see his progress! :D

Please continue to write and email when you can! I love hearing from you!

With much love,

Elder Patrick Wockenfuss


Elder Bucko and I on our last night together. We're wearing the ties that we gave each other.




Me and the Herrera Family (My absolute favorite family besides the Morgans)


No comments:

Post a Comment