Thursday, May 27, 2010

Doctrine and Covenants 3-4

Section Three is what the Lord tells Joseph Smith after Martin Harris loses the one-hundred-sixteen pages. In that section I learn that if we are faithful and keep the commandments of God, He will extend His arm of mercy towards us and support us against the adversary.

Verse ten tells us that God is merciful and it’s my guess that there are people that think God might not be merciful and punish us immediately and forever for what we did wrong, but verse ten says otherwise. Here God is speaking to Joseph Smith but part of the Book of Mormon says to liken all scriptures unto us and that’s what I did. So God says to repent of what we did and we’ll still be chosen and are called again to the work.hearts

Verse 16 tells us of the knowledge of a Savior will come to God’s people. That’s saying that it’s not a rumor or a possibility that he will come, but a KNOWLEDGE, a firm sound truth.

The Lord preserved the plates so that the promises that he made to his people may be fulfilled and that the Lamanites might come to the knowledge of their fathers, know of the Lord’s promises and believe the gospel.

Section four talks of how the world is ready for Missionaries to go forth and preach the gospel.

It says that when we are on our missions we should serve God with all our “heart, might, mind and strength.” It also talks of what qualifies us for the work and they are to have “Faith, hope, charity, and love with an eye single to the glory of God.”

Joseph Smith Scripture Mastery report: “After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go , having looked around me and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so when I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such astonishing influence as to bind my tongue that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and I seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction. But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, just at the  very moment when I was about to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction –not to an imaginary ruin- but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being. Just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.“

**I had a couple of words wrong and a few switched, but I fixed them here and I’m going to work on this part until I have all the words right**

No comments:

Post a Comment